Friday, July 4, 2008

Tell Mr. DeMille ...

...we're ready for our close up.

I find the small details of how flowers are put together really fascinating and surprisingly beautiful. Especially when it comes to the pistels and stamen. (I will have to ask Owen again which is which.)

[Click on any image for a magnified view.]

Verbascum (mullein)



















Gaura



















Cosmo (the first one came out this morning)

















The sweet peas have been growing but not making buds. July is supposed to be way too late for peas anyhow, but I thought it would be worth a try to protect them more from the heat and sun.














I was rewarded with a sweet pea blossom yesterday.
















Climbing Mount Fuji


















We have a lot of snails in our garden this year, which probably isn't considered a good thing. But so far, it hasn't caused any problems. (However, I think I ought to read up on it before there are problems.) This snail is several feet up a mullein stalk, on its way down. I guess there's not much to do at the top of a mullein stalk: admire the view, then head back. It reminded me of this haiku by Issa:

Climb Mount Fuji,
O snail,
but slowly, slowly.

Because I like Issa, here is another of his haiku:

Approaching my village:

Don't know about the people,
but all the scarecrows
are crooked.












Would you like to leave a comment?
Click on # COMMENTS below. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment